Creative Writing

Banknotes 13 Apr 10

Published
of 183
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
Related Documents
Share
Description
telangana charitra,telangana coins,telangana language,indian banknote,musham damodhar,banknotes auction,ancient coins auction,bank of bengal half notes auction,
Transcript
  THE COLLECTION OF BRITISH AND IRISH BANKNOTES FORMED BY THE LATE EDWARD BARNBY THE COLLECTION OF BRITISH AND IRISH BANKNOTES FORMED BY THE LATE EDWARD BARNBY British Provincial The principal reference in this section is to Roger Outing, Provincial Banks and Banknotes of England and Wales , Honiton, 2010 [publication forthcoming] Berkshire The bank failed in 1816 Abingdon , Abingdon & Berkshire Bank, Ten Pounds, 1 January 1799, no. 3711, for Child, Prince & Spenlove, signed byEdward Child (Outing 19A; Grant 15A). Endorsements on back, some tiny holes and splits in body and a few ink lines,otherwise very good, rare £400-500 1 Knapp, Tomkins & Goodall, later Knapp & Co, established the Abingdon & Wantage Bank in 1801. The partnership was headed by Henry Knapp (†1825, aged 69), a former grocer of Northcourt, who served as town mayor in 1805 and 1813. His sons Tyrrell and Henry succeeded him in the business but the bank failed in 1847. The authorised circulation in 1844 was £29,316 Abingdon , Abingdon Bank, Five Pounds, 31 March 1845, no. 11363, for Knapp & Co, signed by Henry Knapp (Outing20D; Grant 18). Hole on left side, other small holes and lower edge worn with short tears, otherwise very good  £120-150 2 William Vincent, Joseph Tanner, John Barnes and Samuel Hancock, proprietors of the Newbury Old Bank, were declared bankrupt in1816. A theft of £13,000 caused a run on the bank which led to its closure Newbury , Newbury Old Bank, Ten Pounds, 2 November 1814, B 1865, for Vincent, Tanner, Barnes & Hancock, signedby W. Vincent (Outing 1492C; Grant 2016B). Split and rejoined at centre and trimmed, otherwise good fine to very fine £150-200 3 www.dnw.co.uk  These lots are illustrated on our web site  THE COLLECTION OF BRITISH AND IRISH BANKNOTES FORMED BY THE LATE EDWARD BARNBY The Berkshire & Reading Bank, a partnership between Sir Charles Marsh (1735-1805), Henry Deane (1743-99) and Eyre Evans Crowe (†1804), opened on 1 September 1788. Marsh was a former army officer who had served in the 84th Foot under Sir Eyre Coote in Indiaand had been knighted for his services in raising a regiment of volunteers in the county. Henry Deane was the son of a partner in the town’s pre-eminent Castle Brewery and was thrice mayor between 1782 and 1794; Crowe, a cousin of Eyre Coote who had also served in the 84th, was a dealer and chapman who lived at Sindlesham Lodge. Crowe became bankrupt in 1798 and resigned from thebank, while, on the death of Henry Deane, his son, Henry Boyle Dean, allowed his father’s capital to remain in the bank. By 1803 thebank’s losses, which had been building up over the years, began to soar and the new management put in place after the death of Marsh in 1805 was unable to halt the problem. The Napoleonic wars and the concurrent boost to business stayed the situation but a number of outside factors during 1814, including a disastrous corn harvest, meant that Reading’s trade was so depressed that creditorswere forced to call in their loans. The situation was not helped when a coach returning from London with £6,000-worth of the bank’snotes on 1 December 1814 was hijacked and about £700-worth were exchanged before payment could be stopped. On 5 January 1815 the bank’s doors in Friar street were closed for the last time. Sold with a copy of ‘The Earliest Reading Bank: Marsh, Deane & Co,1788-1815’ by T.A.B. Corley ( Berkshire Archaeological Journal  , vol. 66, pp.121-8) Reading , Reading Bank, Promise to pay to Mr Newman Ten Pounds, 1 January 1800, no. 6695, for Sir Charles Marsh and Henry Deane Esq, signed by Charles Marsh (Outing 1768A; Grant 2370). Hole on left side and many other smaller holes and splits, otherwise good to very good £80-100 4 Buckinghamshire The bank’s partners, Thomas Box, Robert Gray and George Parrott, between them served eight times as mayors of Buckingham between 1809 and 1840. The bank became part of the Bucks & Oxon Union Bank in 1853, which was subsequently taken over by Lloyds in 1902 Buckingham , Buckingham Old Bank, One Pound, 3 August 1815, no. 13115, for Box, Gray & Parrott, signed by Thomas Box (Outing 348B; Grant 564).  A few small holes and both lower corners damaged, some notations, otherwisevery good, rare £250-300 5 Cambridgeshire F.D. Barker, previously a partner in another bank in Cambridge, set up his own bank in Trinity street in 1823 but it failed in 1841; a related poster is held by Cambridge public library Cambridge , Cambridge Bank, Ten Pounds, 22 October 1840, A 3583, for F.D. Barker, signed by F.D. Barker (Outing 411B; Grant 645B). Some foxing, otherwise good fine £200-250 6 The Wisbech & Lincolnshire Bank was established by the Quaker grocer Jonathan Peckover (1755-1833), who settled in Wisbech in 1777 and entered into partnership with the Gurneys, another Quaker family from Norwich, in 1782. From 1794 the bank was locatedat Bank (now Peckover) House, but moved to 12 Old Market in 1878. The signatory, Algernon Peckover, died in 1893 and the bank was taken over by Barclays in 1896 Wisbech , Wisbech & Lincolnshire Bank, Five Pounds, 3 September 1889, W 8369, for Gurney, Birkbeck, Peckovers &Buxton, signed by Algernon Peckover (Outing 2382Q; Grant 3252). Signature cut-cancelled, a few numbers on front, stamps and endorsements on back and a few pinholes, otherwise very fine £40-60 7Wisbech , Wisbech & Lincolnshire Bank, Ten Pounds, 11 October 1894, N 8518, for Gurney, Birkbeck, Barclay & Buxton, signed by G.F. Buxton (Outing 2382AA; Grant 3252D). Signature cut-cancelled, a few numbers on front, stamps on back and pinholes, otherwise about very fine £40-60 8 www.dnw.co.uk  These lots are illustrated on our web site  THE COLLECTION OF BRITISH AND IRISH BANKNOTES FORMED BY THE LATE EDWARD BARNBYCheshire The partnership of Critchley & Turner, which had opened a bank in Macclesfield in 1802, failed in 1816. The business was resumed by three members of the Brocklehurst family, the brothers William (1784-1859), John (1788-1870) and Thomas (1791-1870), togetherwith one Robert Bagshaw, and relocated to the Brocklehurst premises on King Edward street. The Brocklehursts were local silk manufacturers and cotton merchants at Hurdsfield, and after the failure of their competitors, the town’s Daintry & Ryle bank in 1842, assumed a banking monopoly in Macclesfield. The bank was taken over by the Manchester & Liverpool District Banking Co Ltd in 1891 and eventually became part of National Westminster Bank. Its authorised circulation in 1844 was £16,760 Macclesfield , Macclesfield Bank, One Pound, 25 April 1820, no. 620, for William, John & Thomas Brocklehurst & Co, signed by William Brocklehurst (Outing 1320A; Grant 1803). Very fine to good very fine, scarce £250-300 9Macclesfield , Macclesfield Bank, Five Pounds, 15 November 1845, no. 700, for William, John & Thomas Brocklehurst& Co, signed by William Brocklehurst (Outing 1320B; Grant 1803).  A few numbers and endorsements either side and nicks in edges, otherwise fine, scarce £250-300 10 Charles Delves Broughton, of Maple Hayes, Staffordshire, and John Jasper Garnett (1775-1840), partners in the Nantwich Bank, were declared bankrupt in February 1826. Following the bankruptcy Garnett, the son of a cheese factor in Nantwich, moved to London butreturned to his home town shortly before his death Nantwich , Nantwich Bank, Two Pounds, 4 January 1823, no. 303, for Broughton & Garnett, signed by C.D. Broughton(Outing 1473B; Grant 1983B). Split and rejoined at centre, browned with several small holes and pinned to paper withdetails of the bank partnerships, otherwise about very good £150-200 11 Cornwall The bank failed in 1819 Goldsithney , Goldsithney Bank, One Pound, 20 May 1818, no. 217, for Gundrys & Co, signed by William Gundry (Outing 833A; Grant 1215). Rust spots and a few small holes, otherwise good fine £60-80 12 www.dnw.co.uk  These lots are illustrated on our web site  THE COLLECTION OF BRITISH AND IRISH BANKNOTES FORMED BY THE LATE EDWARD BARNBYCumberland The Workington Bank, established in the wake of an agreement between the mining magnate John Christian, later Curwen (1756-1828) and Walter Wood, banker, Benjamin Thompson, solicitor, David Fletcher, ropemaker and Robert Smith in Workington, openedfor business in 1801. Previously, Curwen’s own notes, first issued in 1797 (Finlay, p.48) had circulated, but Curwen scrupulously redeemed all his outstanding scrip in order to promote the Wood issues. The failure of the London-based bank of Kensington, Styan &Adams in 1812 led to the Workington Bank being declared bankrupt with total liabilities of £120,000 Workington , Workington Bank, One Guinea, 3 June 1809, no. 192/302, for Wood, Smiths, Stein & Co, signed by Walter Wood (Outing 2428A; Grant 3318). Bankruptcy stamp on back and pinholes, otherwise about very fine  £120-150 13 Derbyshire Established as a joint-stock venture in Derby in 1833, the bank was acquired by Parrs Bank Ltd in 1898, which became part of Westminster Bank in 1918 and then NatWest Derby ,   Derby & Derbyshire Banking Co, Twenty Pounds, 18—, D 125, unissued, on watermarked paper (Outing 675F;Grant 5222A). Extremely fine £150-200 14 www.dnw.co.uk  These lots are illustrated on our web site
We Need Your Support
Thank you for visiting our website and your interest in our free products and services. We are nonprofit website to share and download documents. To the running of this website, we need your help to support us.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.

No, Thanks